Monday, August 25, 2014

I'm All Shook Up


Getting ready to head out to work
Holy cow! We are starting the fifth week of my first transfer! Holy cow!!!! That's so crazy!!!! I only get 16 of those transfers! In three days (the 28th) I will have been on my mission for 3 months. That is 1/8th over. That's crazy. That's scary. Time moves so quickly here! 

So this past week has been pretty good. It certainly helps to start it with the temple! I got to talk to a lot of people about religion and the church and had some really spiritual experiences. One guy, his name is Elvis, he's from Ghana, and he's super cool. We have talked to him a couple times. He really wants to learn Japanese and he really wants to go to church because he hasn't found one here in Japan yet. Naturally I invited him and was able to get his contact info! I'm super excited to finally have an investigator coming to church! We will have to translate a lot for him but I think he will like it, and then eventually we will have to turn him over to an English ward, but that's ok. Thank goodness for Elvis! We talk and talk with so many people, have a great time with them, we feel the spirit, they feel the spirit, and when you ask if you can meet up with them again, or offer a Book of Mormon, or ask for contact information, so often they will clam up and leave. It's amazing how difficult it can be! Just gotta keep trying, keep planting seeds, and pray that somewhere down the road something in their heart will changeThat may be the biggest trial of my faith so far. It's so hard to watch people walk away and think that I've done what I can and just have to leave it in the Lords hands.

I was thinking about a scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants during my personal study time the other day:
 
Therefore, let the morrow take thought for the things of itself. Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man. (D&C 84:84-85)

We heard this scripture a lot in the MTC as we talked about the importance of scriptures and 'treasuring them up in your mind". I think about that scripture often, especially during study time. So naturally I was thinking about it, when I was suddenly reminded of another scripture about knowledge:

...It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him. And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full. (Alma 12:9-10)

I get from this that I need to really read and study scriptures as much as I can. Then, when I get opportunities to teach or "mete" out the gospel, the words I need to say will come to my memory

I can find at least two take aways from these scriptures. Number one is obvious: study the scriptures and the gospel and "treasure up" the words so I can teach. And since I have been blessed to have the gospel in my life, I also have a responsibility to teach it. The second take away is that if I want to receive more knowledge I have to give more "heed" and "diligence" to God, so that is my plan.

New Facebook profile pic
I love you all and hope you are doing well! I love to get your emails--they are such a strength to me! 
- Siebach 長老

P.s. I get to have a temple p-day once a transfer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will gladly forward on any comments you'd like to leave for Sterling.